zondag 9 oktober 2016

The Ten Kingdoms

In my last post I've laid out all the seperate things I will need to create before I can start running my campaign. Looking at the list, I could take 2 different approaches; I could start by thinking of interesting characters I want to have in my setting, then decide where they belong and from there extrapolate how the world will look or I could start by figuring out how the world should look, then figure out why that is en which people are responsible for that. Both approaches are valid and it really comes down to personal preference. For me, this is designing the world first, then figuring out what kind of people run the show as I find it easier to create NPC's that fit in a kingdom, then find a kingdom that fits with NPC's I've created.
This does not mean that I don't already have some NPC's in mind that I want to implement.

Now that I've decided to start by creating the world first, I want to decide on which kingdoms I want to create. Do note that everything I present is still subject to change. A decision I make now could change next week, when I find some new inspiration or if I suddenly see a flaw in my design I missed before. The main thing I want to focus on when designing the kindoms, is that they are memorable, recognizable and have a specialty.

Originally when I started with designing the kingdoms, I had decided that I wanted 3 kingdoms as protagonists, 3 kingdoms as antagonists and 3 neutral kingdoms that could be recruited as allies for either side. When creating the map, I found that having a tenth kingdom actually fit a lot better than only having nine. I might cut out one kingdom if I can't make it feel unique enough, but I don't think that will be an issue.

The first thing I wanted to do, was to decide on how to name my kingdoms. A name is very important and I want the right names that fit well in the setting. Seeing as I want to play in China, I want to use Chinese names for the kingdoms, that sound and look different enough for us westerners to remember. Most of my NPC's will have names in English or Dutch (most likely English) because I fear that having too many Chinese names will confuse my players.

In most games I've ran in the wuxia genre, I often use animals in names, because they give certain associations with traits. For example, Red Dragon and the Mantis Minister are sitting opposite each other at a feast. To me (and probably a lot of people), Red Dragon looks as a strong, noble and powerful person. The Mantis Minister is more subtle, probably lean and dangerous when you don't expect it. I have not given any descriptions at all about these characters, but just using animal names, I can evoke what kind of people they are. (I will use this when designing my NPC's as well). For that reason, I want to associate each kingdom with an animal.
The ten animals I chose: Bear, Wolf, Spider, Horse, Swan, Dragon, Eagle, Pig, Bird of Paradise and Monkey.

For each kingdom, I decided to write down some keywords that describe the kingdom, as well as the most important source of income for the kingdom. The reason I want to source of income is to get a view of the economy of each kingdom and the entire region of Shen Zhou. I won't be doing much with the economy in my game, if anything at all, but knowing where the money flows will impact how alliances form naturally as well as how certain military decisions will be made, but more on this in later blog posts.

Below you will find a table with the name, animal, traits and source of income of every kingdom.
Name Animal Traits Source of income
Kui Bear Hardy and sturdy fighters, mountaineers Blacksmithing
Sanzuwu Eagle Just, fierce, impulsive Carpentry
Mamien Horse Traders, hard workers, messengers Leatherworking
Luduan Wolf Tactical geniuses, great at small unit fighting Trade of game
Tianlong Dragon [Emperor], noble, wise, traditional rulers Tailoring
Bashe Spider Stealthy, assassin-like, masters of poison Mercenaries
Peng Bird of Paradise Mystical, magic/rituals, protectors Rituals/Magic
Xiao Monkey Entertainers, brewers, fireworks experts Fireworks/Alcohol
Taotie Pig Extremely rich, bureaucrats, advisors, fertile lands Farm produce
Jian Swan Sailors, trade with the west, largest produce of tea Western trade

As martial arts are a big part of the game, I find it important that each kingdom has their own focus in which aspect of combat is most important as well as which weapons are preferred by each kingdom for their kung fu. I will go in further detail in either a post about the kingdom, or when discussing the martial arts. For now it is enough to know the focus and weapons, so it makes it easier when I go into more detail.

Below you will find a table with the combat and weapon focus for each kingdom.
Name Animal Combat focus Weapon focus
Kui Bear Strength and grapples Unarmed and big weapons
Sanzuwu Eagle Speed Unarmed/claws
Mamien Horse Endurance and mounted Unarmed (kicks)
Luduan Wolf Tactics/strike Sabers
Tianlong Dragon Power Armour and classical weapons
Bashe Spider Stealth Daggers/needles
Peng Bird of Paradise Magic and mobility Spear
Xiao Monkey Dodge Staff
Taotie Pig Toughness Swords
Jian Swan Elegance Flexible* and fans
*flexible weapons are weapons that have a rope or chain to make their movements unpredictable, such as a whip.

The information in the tables above is subject to change. I might find that a certain clan should have more focus on a different weapon, I will not hesitate to change this. I am also lacking some weapon types, which I might add to the clans. I can imagine the Sanzuwu kingdom to also focus on archery for example. I might even give the Peng kingdom the bow as a weapon focus, and add the spear to the Mamien kingdom.

As always, if you have any questions or you would like to discuss one of my choices, be free to leave a message or contact me. In my next post I will discuss the making of a map for the ten kingdoms and I expect to post this halfway through the week as these maps are done with the material I have so far. I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope you're excited as I am to see these kingdoms fleshed out.

1 opmerking:

  1. Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) If you want to stop your divorce.
    (10 If you want to divorce your husband.
    (11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
    contact the Vampires Lord on his Email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen